• Haiti is located in the Atlantic Ocean, approximately fifty miles southeast of Cuba and 565 miles southeast of Florida on the Caribbean Island of Hispaniola.
• Haiti occupies the western third of the island of Hispaniola, shared with Dominican Republic, and is about the size of Maryland.
• The Republic of Haiti is the poorest and most densely populated country in the Western Hemisphere.
• Although French has been the official language of Haiti since it was founded as San-Dominique, only 10% of the population actually speaks the language. Haitian Creole, spoken by all Haitians, is the unofficial language of Haiti.
• Due to violence and AIDS, Haiti has the highest percentage of orphans of any country in the Western Hemisphere. Before the 2010 earthquake, the United Nations estimated there were 430,000 orphans.
• The population of Haiti is approximately 9.7 million. It is expected to reach 10.2 million in 2015.
How We Serve
Back2Back serves children’s homes and impoverished communities, by partnering with individuals, schools, churches, civic groups, and businesses to create a bridge between people in need and people with resources. This is accomplished through partnerships and short-term mission trips, in which individuals and groups work alongside staff members who serve at each of the ministry locations. Back2Back invests in the future of each child by meeting their spiritual, physical, educational, emotional, and social needs through a unique 5-Point Child Development Plan so that they can become self-sustaining individuals who give back to their community. Our goal is that each orphan we serve would experience restoration. This is accomplished in part through you, our ministry teams and partners, who visit year-round and help provide basic necessities.
We currently serve local children’s homes. We are excited to deepen our partnership with local pastors and churches to develop additional long-term volunteers, nationals from within the community. We also provide educational opportunities and scholarships to orphaned children through Back2Back’s Child Sponsorship Program.
Mission trip guests stay at modern facilities on the Back2Back Ministries/Jesus in Haiti campus, located in a suburb of Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Clean drinking water is provided. Electricity is the same as the U.S. For security purposes, our gated and walled campus has 24-hour guard surveillance.
- The cost for a 7-day trip is $650 (not including airfare).
- The cost includes housing, food, projects, in-country transportation, and emergency medical insurance.
- Airfare and immunizations are purchased separately and are the responsibility of the team. Including airfare, the average cost of a trip to Haiti is between $1200 – $1500.
- The minimum age to serve in Haiti is 12.